The Facilities Assistant, reporting to the Facilities Director, supports the daily activities and operations of The Watermill
Center, with a focus on building and grounds maintenance. The role is a part-time position working from Thursday to
About The Watermill Center
The Watermill Center is a laboratory for the arts and humanities, providing a global community the time, space, and
freedom to create and inspire.
Founded in 1992 by Robert Wilson, The Watermill Center is an interdisciplinary laboratory for the arts and humanities
situated on ten acres of Shinnecock ancestral territory on Long Island’s East End. With an emphasis on creativity
and collaboration, Watermill offers artist residencies and education programs that integrate contemporary artistic
practice with resources from the humanities and research from the sciences.
Situated on 39 Watermill Towd Rd, a 20,000 square foot main facility houses a Study Library, Art Collection, spaces
for rehearsals, performances, and exhibitions, a kitchen with dining areas, and office space. The Artist-in-Residence
House, at 11 Watermill Towd Road, is a 10,000 square foot facility with eight private bedrooms, a kitchen, living
areas, and an amphitheater. The Art Collection consists of 5,000+ works of art and artifacts, ranging from ancient to
contemporary, including numerous museum-quality works from Indonesia, Africa, and Oceania, as well as works by
contemporary artists such as Paul Thek, Donald Judd, Bruce Nauman, Robert Mapplethorpe, Agnes Martin, among
Facilities (at 39 Watermill Towd Rd + 11 Watermill Towd Rd)
1. Open the main building.
2. Provide office operations support including basic maintenance of office equipment (e.g.
printers), internet/phone, etc.
3. Order and manage inventory of The Center + Residence supplies, including food pantry staples,
cleaning products, and office supplies
4. Maintain specific aesthetics of the buildings.
5. Perform household duties as outlined in The Watermill Center Household Duties Checklist.
6. Complete small maintenance tasks and projects, as needed.
7. Meet and supervise vendors as needed.
8. Inspect facilities regularly to determine problems.
9. Provide emergency support for the buildings.
10. Assist with art handling and basic installation needs.
11. Ensure WMC vehicles are clean and in working order.
1. General groundskeeping including watering, weeding, mulching, etc.
2. Assist with winterizing (autumn) & de-winterizing (spring) outside objects and outbuildings
3. Remove leaves from the amphitheater and courtyard at 11 Watermill Towd Rd.
4. Maintain safe walkways after a snowfall.
Artist-in-Residence + Program Support
1. Assist with setup and strike activities for events and on-site programs.
2. Set and reset the Artist-in-Residence House before and after each residency.
3. Participate in arrangements for artist check-outs at the end of a residency period.
4. Assist Artist Programs Manager to set and reset studio spaces.
5. Provide weekend support to Artists-in-Residence.
6. Hold a general understanding of the history of The Center and the collection.
1. Attend weekly Staff Meetings and other regular departmental meetings.
1. Landscaping and gardening experience
2. Experience prioritizing tasks, managing deadlines, and adapting to changing priorities.
3. Collaborative with excellent communication skills
4. Proficiency in Google and Microsoft Suites, Slack, Zoom, and adopting new digital tools.
Part-time, ongoing position located at The Watermill Center in Water Mill, NY. Th-M, 32 hours/week, exact
working hours to be coordinated with the Facilities Director. 12 days vacation, dates to be approved by
supervisor; 10 major public holidays; 4 personal days; Option for health and dental insurance benefits;
option for 401(k) plan. Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send a resume and a brief cover letter to [email protected] with the subject heading “Facilities
Assistant” Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted. No emails or phone calls, please.