The Produce & Wash Pack Manager is a dynamic and fast-paced position at the heart of the farm. Playing an essential role in the post-harvest process, the Produce & Wash Pack Manager links the farm and harvest with our onsite retail market, kitchen, 250+ family CSA, and wholesale accounts. The Produce & Wash Pack Manager will report to both the Market Managers. This position will supervise the Wash station and Market Associates assigned to their station.
- Coordinating the sorting, washing, bunching, bagging, packing, labeling, and distribution of freshly harvested produce in the wash station each day
- Oversee retail floor management by assisting in creating and maintaining displays, including updating signage and pricing. Ensure displays are abundant, attractive, and reflect seasonality according to merchandising standards.
- Receive, inspect, and check in delivered product to ensure quality and freshness according to our standards.
- Manage inventory through daily communication with farm(s) regarding order status, changing availability, and pricing
- Maintain sanitation standards of processing and storage areas to ensure cleanliness and good organization (coolers, wash station, packing line, dry storage)
- Maintaining food safety standards in accordance with FSMA and company practices
- Overseeing up to five wash station crew members and a farm apprentice daily
- Provide friendly and approachable customer service to those with questions regarding produce. Support the retail team by occasionally checking out customers in a courteous and efficient manner on an as needed basis.
- Coach, train, and motivate market associates to perform produce department functions to Amber Waves standards and work towards common objectives; serve as a role model to others instilling a positive attitude in team members.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Previous farming, retail produce or wash/pack experience is preferred but not required.
- Have knowledge of or interest in produce, cooking, food systems and/or local agriculture
- Experience in a management role is preferred
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Must have strong communication skills and the ability to delegate tasks to supporting staff.
- Able to multitask in a fast paced environment
- Excellent time management and strong sense of pace and urgency associated with task completion
- This position requires communication in English, both verbally and written. Bilingual Spanish-speaking candidates are encouraged to apply.
- This is a physically demanding position which requires: standing/walking for long periods of time over uneven surfaces; exposure to heat, cold, or wet environments, working in and outdoors with exposure to the elements, repetitive motion such as lifting, kneeling, or bending; and carrying up to 50lbs at a time, with or without assistance.
Work Schedule & Compensation:
- Shifts starting as early as 7:00 AM.
- $18-24/hour, DOE